1. GUARD YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD AND NUMBER
- Don’t carry your card or give out the number unless absolutely necessary
2. SHRED UNWANTED DOCUMENTS OR CARDS WITH PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Crosscut shredders offer the best protection
3. WATCH OUT FOR MAIL THEFT
- Collect mail promptly. Consider getting a locking mailbox or a P.O. box. Put outgoing mail in a postal mailbox.
4. BE ALERT WHEN PAYING
- Make sure no one is looking over your shoulder or using a camera phone to get a card number or PIN. Use a hand to shield keypads at ATMs or other card readers.
5. WHEN IN DOUBT, DON’T GIVE IT OUT
- Never share of verify personal information in response to unsolicited requests made online, by mail, or over the phone.
6. SECURE YOUR COMPUTER
- Install or update firewalls and anti-malware programs. Manage browser security settings. Memorize passwords.
7. NEVER DOWNLOAD OR OPEN FILES FORM AN UNKNOWN SOURCE
- Doing so can expose your computer to hacking and malware.
8. DESIGNATE ONE CREDIT CARD FOR ONLINE PAYMENTS
- Make sure all transactions take place on a secured site. Monitor the card account.
9. OPT OUT OF CREDIT CARD OFFERS
- Call 888-5-OPTOUT or go to consumer.ftc.gov and search “opt out”.
10. CHECK YOUR CREDIT REPORT AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR
- Go online to AnnualCreditReport.com for a free annual copy.
Lebanon Police Department
201 East Main Street
Lebanon In 46052
765-482-8836[Source: Lebanon Police Department]